*throws streamers and other decorative mess*
Thank you! Thank you very much! You're all far too kind!
I'm sure by now you've figured it out. What my blog's name means. This whole trip was planned to coincide with my 23rd birthday which was on Saturday (October 5th). Funny enough, not much happened leading up to the specific date but this entire trip has been one satisfying experience so it was still a fairly decent day. Yeah, I know I missed a day so I'll start from Friday and fill you guys in.
Day 7
An entire week in Toronto. Wow. It's honestly felt like forever with the amount of things I've done, the places I've seen, the food I ate, all brilliant. What's on the cards for today? Nothing. Not during daytime hours, at least. We've been building hype around this Lil Rick concert that was gonna go down over at Centennial College and my poor, naive mind was under the impression that it would be an all-soca event. Made sense, right? If only.
We pretty much spent the entire day lazing around, as bachelor life should be... except for the fact that I'm the only single man in the group. TV, food, sleep. What else do you need when you're on vacation? Besides, these late sunrises are excellent at throwing off your internal clock. Since bro had to work and was gonna miss the show (poor lad), the plan involved a bit of early moving. Grab some food, stop over by the part-time residents' actual home and then catch the bus from there to the school. Out of all of that, the only thing that initially caught my attention was food. Those glorious calories. Where are we gonna try today? McDonalds, Wendy's, Dominoes, Pita Land have been all crossed off the list.
Let me just be clear and state upfront that nothing on this menu contains or consists of spinach. Yes, I checked the entire menu at least twice because I was curious to see if the restaurant was related to the cartoon. Long shot, I know.
Slight disappointment? Yes. Did they make up for it? Brilliantly. See that poster right in the middle of the glass? That's this stuff right here:
Dip'n Chickn. I need to bring this concept back to Barbados for Haloute to run with it. This stuff is fantastic! And initially had my doubts about the cajun chili garlic sauce, but that was spectacular as well. The fries were good as well. An 8*/10. Overall pleased. Now we wait for the show.
Remember earlier when I asked about it being an all soca show? Stupid question. The poster was on the bedroom dresser the whole time and I never bothered to look at it! Chris Martin and Wayne Wonder opening. ...huh? Call me bougie, but the only Chris Martin I knew up until a couple months ago was a lead singer in a band. Then to find out it's the guy who is popular with women for his song - and I quote - "Oh Lord, don't let me cheat on my girlfriend. Cause as far as I can see, she loves only me. Oh Lord, don't let me cheat on my girlfriend. But Lord if you can't stop me from cheating, then don't let me get caught." ...er, pardon? And I'm the one that's single? Alright. Moving on swiftly. Not swiftly enough, sadly. I guess the folks who came for him enjoyed his set. The Barbadian massive knew what was coming and wisely conserved their energy. Chris finally left the stage. Thank you! Wayne up. Dude has a handful of decent songs. Sadly for him, I'm not sure the crowd knew many of the ones he sang. I wasn't moved by his performances, but he was winding down sooner than I expected.
*you know when you're at church and the pastor is praying, you can pick up in his voice and his speech pattern that by all rights he should be coming to an end, yet he finds a burst of energy and starts fresh? That's what this guy did. *yawn*.
Dude proceeded to stitch together covers of other songs, threw in a couple of his "newer" pieces and generally did what he felt like. Not here for this. Kindly vacate the stage for the headline act to come on, why don't you? Lucky for me, all good things must come to and end. Time for the real deal! Chihuahua Business Man. Board Face. Hypa Dawg. Rickey Reid. Lil Rick. T-111 Untreated! Rick knew we were waiting and he came to satisfy. Even the people who had no concept of soca music were able to enjoy his performance. In the name of discretion and to protect the character of those involved, there are no pictures to be included, but I will limit my review to 5 words:
============================================================
MASHED. UP. AND. BOUGHT. BACK.
============================================================
Seemed like his set was shorter than those other two. Oh well, such is life. Rick leaves the stage and the DJ decides that it's appropriate to follow up that performance with some hip hop! No. Just.. no. We decided to go check the other room. They seemed to be rocking. We were in and out in a matter of 15 seconds. Let's just say it's not what we were expecting. Our ride eventually came and we got something to eat, picked up our stuff and headed home. Time to put the Sabbath back on the Saturday. Thanks for reading, guys!



No comments:
Post a Comment